Chong Yidong announced the first pretest of Emacs 23.X last night.
This is the first pretest release of Emacs 23.X and it includes many improvements over Emacs 22.X.
- Emacs now can link with libotf to handle complex OpenType font layouts.
- A new set of default icons is used by Emacs 23.
- Emacs now supports using both X displays and ttys in one session.
- Emacs can now start in the background, as a daemon, using the –daemon command line option. In this mode Emacs disconnects from the controlling terminal and starts a background server process. The emacsclient(1) utility can be used to create new tty windows or X frames attached to this background daemon.
- Transient mark mode is now on by default.
C-l" is now bound to the new command
recenter-top-bottom, rather than
M-x butterfly" flips the desired bit on the disk platter. See http://xkcd.com/378/
linum" is a special mode for displaying line numbers in a buffer, similar to the "set number" command of VI.
- Many more updates and bug fixes.
The full list of changes that Emacs 23.0.90 includes are described in the file "
etc/NEWS" in the source distribution of the pretest release.
This morning I updated the editors/emacs-devel of FreeBSD to install the 23.0.90 pretest version of Emacs. Boris Samorodov picked the update out of the list of submitted patches and committed it to the CVS tree of the FreeBSD Ports collection.
Users who are using emacs-devel on FreeBSD, can now update their port to grab this release of Emacs 23.X.
As the new
pkg-message of the port describes, this is an experimental release of Emacs 23.X. The list of new features and bug fixes is impressive, but there may still be problems lurking in the code or even regressions from stable releases.
If you notice anything that is odd, or find something that seems to be a bug, please report it to:
- My own email address, as listed in the MAINTAINER field of the port makefile. It should be possible to see my email address by running more(1) on the Makefile, or by using the make(1) utility:
% cd /usr/ports/editors/emacs-devel % make -V MAINTAINER
- Even if the port builds successfully on your system, and it passes all your tests, please feel free to email me and the pretesters mailing list at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of the most important changes in this pretest; one that you should be careful about, and watch out for possible bugs, is the change of the RMAIL mail package from the old Babyl format to UNIX mbox format. This part of Emacs may be less stable than others; for safety, please back up your mail files before trying the new Rmail.